Saturday, May 7, 2011

Today at Work I Made...

Thit Kho: Caramelized Braised Pork and Hard Boiled Eggs. This is a traditional Vietnamese dish that every family makes; it is a simple comfort food that you won't find in restaurants. My mom would make a large pot early in the morning for us to eat throughout the day as a quick meal with cucumber and pickles and it packs well for lunch.

Fish sauce and cane sugar are in almost every Vietnamese dish. The intense flavors are often balanced with fresh vegetables, pickles, and rice. I think I apply this logic to foods I make.







Ingredients:
Pork (I used shoulder for leaner meat, traditionally you use belly) 
Hard Boiled Eggs
Fish Sauce
Block Sugar
Coconut Juice
Garlic
Thai Chilies

First caramelize the sugar in the pan with a little water. The sugar should turn a deep brown. Then add the pork. You can parboil the pork first if you want a cleaner sauce. When the pork has browned add some fish sauce and then add enough coconut juice to cover the pork and boil for an hour. Then add sliced chilies and the peeled eggs into the stew until thew brown. Everyone makes this dish differently so I suggest you try to figure out the way you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment